PbS > News > Southwest Utah Youth Center- Long Term Named Finalist for the 2018 PbS Barbara Allen-Hagen Award

Southwest Utah Youth Center- Long Term Named Finalist for the 2018 PbS Barbara Allen-Hagen Award

Performance-based Standards (PbS) is very pleased to announce Southwest Utah Youth Center- Long Term (SUYC) in Cedar City, UT as one of the finalists for the 2018 PbS Barbara Allen-Hagen Award in the correction category. SUYC was selected as a finalist for their innovative methods of improving youth reentry processes.

The team members at SUYC discovered that the results of the April 2016 data collection were less than ideal and decided that Community Reintegration needed to be the focus for their next Facility Improvement Plan. Outcome Measures at that time indicated that only 56% of the youth knew that they were going into a community service/agency program upon release, leaving 44% unsure of their transition plans and unaware of services available to them.

Following in-depth discussions, it was decided to implement the position of Transition Support Specialist (TSS). This allowed for a dedicated staff to prepare each youth for community reintegration, enhancing reentry services. Within 90 days of their projected parole date, youth began to participate in the TSS group, which allowed them to clearly identify their plans for transition, including educational and vocational opportunities, with family and community engagement at each possible step. This also gave youth the ability to familiarize themselves with the facility or placement via photos, and identify and apply for jobs ahead of release.

The team’s commitment to competency and efficiency through effective training is what led to the success of this facility improvement. By the end of the October 2017 data collection period, SUYC exceeded their goal with 80% of youths indicating they knew they were going into a community service/agency program upon release. The team reports that youth are leaving SUYC with feelings of preparedness and excitement for community reintegration.

The PbS Barbara Allen-Hagen Award was established in 2007 to honor Barbara Allen-Hagen and her retirement from the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP). Her dedication to improving the quality of life in facilities for young offenders has helped drive PbS to its current success. The award is given to a correction, detention/assessment and community program who best exemplify PbS’ commitment to treating all youths in custody as one of our own by developing and implementing strategic plans to change practices that results in positive outcomes for youths, staff and families.

Winners of the award will be announced the night of the ceremony on Aug. 3, 2018. Stay tuned for more blogs about the 2018 finalists.

alt text

PbS team at Southwest Utah Youth Center

This article was originally published on the CJCA blog.

Monday, July 16, 2018 at 4:28 PM